Thursday, April 15, 2010

An ESO Chorus Line













Greetings!


I thought I would just post a quick preview about an upcoming ESO concert that I will be blogging at this weekend. It will be a concert revolving around "chorus hits." Conductors Jack Everly and Leonard Ratzlaff will be leading the ESO and Richard Eaton Singers through beloved chorus tunes. When I first saw the title, "A Chorus of Hits," the first thing that came to my mind was spunky musical theatre tunes complete with jazz hands, vibrant costumes and show faces so optimistic that they could cure cancer. A glance through the program did not wholly agree to the stereotypical image in my mind. Clearly, my addiction for the musical t.v. show, Glee, is having a huge influence on me. Side note: Who's excited about the start of the new season!?!?

It was nice to see that lots of familiar tunes were on the program even though it's not the most cohesive set list I've seen put together. However, I appreciate the fact that the ESO wants to host a fun evening where familiar and accessible music is performed. Tis' the goal of their Robbins Pops series :) As much as I enjoy listening to the complete Carmina Burana set, sometimes you just want to skip to the "O Fortuna" chorus since that chorus is the piece's claim to fame. In the case of this concert, you are able to hear famous choruses one after the other. It's just like scanning through the tracks on a chorus c.d. and playing your favorites! Some chorus pieces will include the "Humming Chorus" from Madama Butterfly, Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Pie Jesu", and "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof. A programming choice that did make me smile with amusement was seeing two "Hallelujah" tunes one after the other. Cohen's Hallelujah followed by Handel's Hallelujah. Yep, if you're thinking what I'm thinking... that should be pretty interesting. I wonder if the audience will still stand (as per tradition) during Handel's Hallelujah...

Anyway, if you are interested in seeing how this musically eclectic choral program is going to fit together, you're in luck since there will be 2 performances at the Winspear Centre on Friday April 16 and Saturday April 17 both @ 8pm. You can get tickets online here and if you happen to be there for the Saturday performance, let me know, because I will be there :)

Until next time, take care!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Sounds exciting! Would love to join you! I can't wait to hear all about it!
C